Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Perkins

Wednesday night, Piero, Rosa's son, arrived from Santiago. At that time I was sick. Wednesday night, Rosa and Piero decided that I would NOT be going to school on Thursday and I had no say in the matter. Thursday, Rosa brought me breakfast in bed on one of her breaks from school. The rest of the day, Piero served as my personal ¨Perkins.¨ The Chilean Jeeves. He fresh squeezed orange juice for me, waited on me hand and foot, even considered finding a little bell for me to ring.

Thursday night I got a house call from the doctor, who gave me a shot of some antibiotics and some ¨North American¨ prescription. What he really wanted to give me was another medicine but since I have no Mapuche (native Chilean) blood in me I couldn't take it; it could kill me.

Today, they finally let me go back to school. I'm still sniffling a little, but I'm much better for the most part.

No comments: