Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Next Leg: Osorno and Entrelagos

Although I didn't get to see much of it, Osorno must've been my least favorite Chilean city. After 10 comfortable hours on the Salon Cama, we arrived in Osorno around 6am. It was dark, chilly, and rainy. As we walked the dirty streets to the local bus station, I observed dogs fighting and sleeping in cardboard boxes - adding further to my desire for the trip to be over. It was a holiday that Monday and the local bus we needed to take to Entrelagos had not started running yet, so we settled in on the cold cement to wait.

We were going to Entrelagos to visit Rosa's cousin, whose name escapes me, her husband, Boris, and their children, Caroline and Boris Jr. There, Rosa would consult with Boris about the construction of her new home on Chiloe, which Piero had drawn plans for. Boris had just finished building a new home for his family. It was small, but comfortable. All I wanted to do was wash the travel grime off of me when we arrived, but Rosa informed me that they did not yet have hot water in the new home. So, instead, I took a nap. Then, we decided to hop on another bus and go to the national park up the volcano. Yes, we were in the volcano zone. Osorno has a stunning volcano, but I couldn't see it that morning or the next because of the darkness and bad weather. I can't remember the name of the volcano whose park we were visiting, but it's famous for its thermal springs. People come from all over to take advantage of the magma-heated waters. There was an indoor pool heated by the volcano; it cost a couple dollars to get in. There also was an outdoor pool bordering the river. We followed the trail and the sound of shouting people to the outdoor pool. About 50 or so Chileans had stripped down to their swim suits in the 40-degree, rainy weather, to go for a therapeutic dip. After a little while in the heated springs, it's customary (and considered healthy), to go jump into the river and cool off. Even though I hadn't showered in over 24 hours, I was not about to expose myself to the elements like that!

That night after dinner, we watched Chilean "Biggest Loser" and I taught the family to play cards. We played Pesca, Go Fish, and Cucharas, Spoons. They were both big hits with the kids.

Rosa and I were sharing a bedroom. Rosa snores... loudly! I tried my earplugs but they were not strong enough. I tried my iPod, but it couldn't drown out the noise. I tried waking up Rosa, but even when she changed positions, she still snored. Finally, frustrated and exhausted, I dragged all the blankets and pillows, my earplugs, and my guatero out into the hall. I made a very uncomfortable and cold bed for myself on the hard floor, and fell asleep.

No comments: