Saturday, January 26, 2008

Salon Cama: Or, the Best Night's Sleep in Chile

Since I still have one anxious reader out there who wants to know the end of my Chilean saga, I will resume writing, just a bit.

Rosa, her father (Zenobio), and I left for Chiloe on the 15th of July. I have to admit, I was very disappointed to find out we were taking a bus. Bus travel, to me, seems cramped, slow, and uncomfortable. Especially when our destination was over 1000 miles south of our departure. We took the bus from town down to Santiago, where Piero was going to meet us with our overnight bus tickets. When we arrived, Piero greeted us with a surprise: he bought us Salon Cama tickets! A Salon Cama bus is specifically designed for overnight trips; there were only three seats across instead of four, seats reclined almost completely, and there was an additional leg rest, making for a nice bed. We were served a small dinner and breakfast as well. As I settled in for our first 10 hour leg of the journey south - with my iPod and copy of The Yellow Dog Ate My Homework and Other Colorful Tales - I was much more optimistic about the trip.

Two small downfalls: they showed a movie with no headphones so, no matter what, I had to hear it. I gave in and decided to watch. The bad part? It was the Wayans Brothers' hit film "Little Man." Haven't seen it? Don't bother. Also, in the middle of the night, I woke up hearing a pretty heavy snorer two seats behind me. We were stopped so the driver could stretch and have food, and as soon as we started again either the road noise drowned him out or he stopped.

No comments: