Sunday, June 17, 2007

No heat!

No hay calefacción.

There´s no heat in Chile. (I´m sure some might says it is chilly and think that is very clever) Very few stores and restaurants have heat, so I see families sitting down to eat at a restaurant and they are all wearing their jackets. I guess you learn to dress warm. The hostel where I´m staying also doesn´t have heat, which means I´m sitting here with pants, a shirt, a jean jacket, a courderoy jacket, socks AND sandals on. The jacket and the socks belong to Emily from the program (yes, I´m still waiting for my luggage). I can´t believe I´m wearing socks with sandals, but when you´re cold, fashion goes out the window.

There´s also no heat in our bedrooms. Last night I slept under two blankets and a comforter and I had to put my head under the covers to get my nose warm.

I should get my luggage sometime this afternoon. I tried to call the airline this morning to tell them where to deliver it, but they don´t answer the phone until 1pm there. Oh well. I´m going to head out to see the city and then I´ll come back to luggage (hopefully).

Happy Father´s Day

UPDATE: My luggage arrived 10 minutes ago! ... still no heat, however.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I for one find that 'Chilly in Chile' line incredibly clever. How did you come up with that?